Granulation Techniques Demystified Online Class with Victoria from Rio Grande and Craftsy.com
Victoria guides you through the process of creating gorgeous, granulated jewelry. First, hone your torch control as you form granules from sterling silver and learn how to fuse sterling wire and granules to sheet metal. Discover the visual cues that indicate when your piece is fully fused, then tackle fusing larger designs.
Follow along as Victoria guides you through fusing stacked, 18K gold embellishments as well as perfectly symmetrical granulated earrings. Then, learn how to craft impressive, granulated ring bands. Add intricate fused details to a blank, and shape and solder the band –– plus, discover essential techniques for finishing your ring with decorative granules, a bezel and a perfectly set stone!
7 Streaming HD video lessons with anytime, anywhere access
Class materials list with templates, tip sheet, tools & supplies recommended by Victoria
Hours of close-up instruction
Answers to student questions from instructor Victoria Lansford
Closed captioning available (web only)
- Making Granules: Let renowned metalsmith Victoria Lansford demystify the ancient art of granulation! First, learn how to cut sheet metal and wire to create organic or uniform granules. Then, Victoria shows you how to ball your snippets into granules and easily sort and store them by size for different projects.
- Fusing Wire: Put your torch to use as you learn about the fundamentals of fusing wire or granules to sheet metal! Discover which visual cues will let you know your project is fully fused and learn how to achieve the proper type of flame with your torch. Plus, create the frame for a granulated charm!
- Fusing Granules: Finish your charm by fusing granules inside the wire frame. Learn what type of flux will keep your granules in place and see what an over-fused piece looks like to avoid melting your projects. Give your piece a professional finish with Victoria’s soldered rim technique!
- Larger Designs: Expand your design opportunities and learn techniques for fusing larger pieces with pierced designs and dynamic granulation. In addition, practice working with thicker material while maintaining consistent heat for fusing, and tackle firescale with depletion gilding. Then add a patina!
- Gold, Dimension & Mirrored Pairs: Learn sophisticated techniques for further design possibilities! First, learn how to work with 18K gold granules to enhance the value of your pieces. Then, learn how to fuse in layers with a dimensional granule pyramid. Bonus: Learn the secret to symmetrical granulated designs in earrings.
- Granulation Ring: Granulated rings are traditionally time-consuming and tricky to make but with Victoria’s technique you can fuse perfect detail before your ring shank is even in the round! Start by creating a perfectly sized ring blank and learn why fusing a wire frame to your metal is essential. Then, fuse your granules with ease.
- Granulation Ring, Part 2: After cutting out your design, you’ll learn how Victoria forms granulation work into a round ring shank. Learn how to solder, shape and size your band. Next, see how to add a bezel cup and decorative larger granules before finally setting your stone!